Friday, December 8, 2006

Non-violence, fearless dissent, and hard work

During a conversation at work the other day, a woman that I work with said something that bothered me a little bit at the time, and has grown on my mind since.

I was talking about my military service, in the U.S. Coast Guard, and some of my experiences while I was active duty. I was telling a sea story about a really hairy search & rescue op that happened in 1988 while I was stationed in the Bay Area as a radioman (yes, we saved the guy). She was interested, asked some intelligent questions about things, and we were pretty much done with the topic. I mentioned that I was now working as a peace activist. She rolled her eyes, seemed disappointed, and said, "I wish it were that simple."

The conversation was cut short because of work, and I never had a chance to respond to her statement. At first I didn't know what she meant. Simple? What about being a peace activist or working to end the war is simple? After considering it, I have come to realize that she really doesn't understand what peace activists do, and doesn't understand how much thought and consideration is put into things.

How does mainstream America view the peace movement? This is an important question, especially since we in the movement have been frustrated for so long by the seeming inability of many people to even acknowledge (with more than a bumpersticker) that there is a problem. Does the average American see us as a group of Pollyanna daydreamers, singing songs and hoping that the sun will just come out tomorrow? Do people really think that we don't understand that there are no simple solutions to this problem, or at least, no simple solutions that would not also exponentially increase the bloodshed?

Long hours spent just trying to get one more person to really think about the cost of war, or see past the fog of materialism, is not easy. The Arlington West memorial tomorrow alone will be several hours of hard work, as we will be setting up and taking down almost 2,500 markers representing American fallen. The figure of 2,500 is correct, unfortunately we don't have the resources or people to continue to put up a cross, star, or crescent for each death anymore, our trailer only holds that many. As of this morning, the count was 2,922.



The Iraq Study Group Report by The Baker-Hamilton Commission was released recently, and there still seem to be no easy answers. The report rehashes suggestions that have been proposed by progressives, and others, for the last year or two. It comes as no surprise that Bush has already rejected (or at least snorted at) two of the key proposals: engaging Iran and Syria in dialogue, and troop withdrawals.

Nancy Pelosi, the new Speaker of The House for the 110th Congress has already pledged to not cut funding for Iraq. Her motives are understandable, and she does promise oversight of funding, which is a welcome change, but an outright promise seems to me to be premature. She spun her response to be not cutting off funding for "the troops" but clearly it is our responsibility as peace activists to keep up the pressure. Hard.

Progressive members of the house such as Dennis Kucinich, who should now get at least some media attention, could force at least the discussion of peace initiatives, including the Department of Peace. A local group working towards the Department of Peace is unafraid of approaching local conservative politicians, and confronting them with their message.

Peace work is not simple, and it is not easy. The principles of non-violence and fearless dissent are central to the message of peace. These principles are extraordinarily difficult to uphold.

Speaking truth to power is difficult, and scary. I have personally passed on an opportunity to do this myself, when I felt overwhelmed. For a while it felt to me like nothing we were doing was making any difference, and I failed to follow through on some commitments I had made to support the peace movement. I've stopped beating myself up over it, but am committed to following through on things in the future, and not taking on more than I can handle.



I have lost my temper many times over the injustices and excesses perpetrated by the Bush administration. I have yet to become violent, and it is important that that never happen. Any kind of violence or even implied violence must be avoided if we are to maintain the integrity of the peace movement.

Just stuff on my mind, all for now...

Peace

No comments: