Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Waging Peace



I'm sitting here preparing for departure, on my way to Washington DC to participate in the national demonstration on January 27th, and to support Veterans for Peace in our Support and Defend the Constitution event on the 25th - tomorrow. I wasn't able to watch the President's address last night because I was attending the executive board meeting of our local chapter of Veteras for Peace.

To be honest, I don't think I had the stomach for it anyway. The tired repetition of the same bullshit that we've been putting up with for the last 6 years, mixed with the latest lies and spin that Monkey-Boy continues to pile on, just gives me a headache. I did read the speech, after the fact, and I must say, the President met my expectations.

Then I read the response by Jim Webb.

Now that was a hell of a speech. I didn't agree with every word that came out of his mouth, but so what. Honest, direct, intelligent, concise, and realistic. He reportedly was handed a speech by the Democratic leadership, which he promptly roundfiled and then wrote a new one himself. Not a speechwriter attempting to cover all the political points, but an actual politician speaking his own words.

Damn that's refreshing.

Just a short post, I'm waiting for my ride to the airport, then I when I get to DC it's time to pick up a plowshare.

Peace

No comments: